Owned by Dave and Karla Bradley.
The Hudson Motor Car Company, headed by Roy D. Chapin, developed a reputation and success in the automobile marketplace by building solid cars with good performance for the money and fine reliability. The introduction of theEssex Six in 1924, targeting budget minded buyers, increased the combined sales of Hudson Motors from seventh to third place in the U.S. automobile market by 1925. Production of Hudson and Essex cars continued to hold third place for 1927, fourth place in 1928, and returned to capture third in 1929 with a total of 300,962 units.
The automaker decided to move upmarket and in 1930, launched a line of cars called Great Eight. Hudson Eights were “often luxurious, and usually smooth, effortless performers” powered by a new for 1930 straight-eight engine that would be produced through 1952. Total production in 1930 for Hudson Motors fell by almost 40% to 113,898 units.
For 1931, the automaker renamed the line to “Hudson Greater Eight” – implying that the new models “were even better than” the previous year because of additional engineering and styling advances. Production declined even further dropping Hudson from the top 8 brands in the U.S.
Hudson hired its first professional designer in early 1931, Frank S. Spring, with the title of “engineering stylist”. His work was first incorporated on the 1932 model year Hudsons, but he became best known for his contributions to the 1948-1954 “Step-Down” design (third-generation Hudson Commodores and first-generation Hudson Hornets) and remained with the company until its merger with Nash, forming American Motors Corporation (AMC) in 1954.